Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Whining Wonderful Wednesday

If at first you must whine about the wind, then run fast to overcompensate for the cold it creates, a wise man must have once at least thought that. Today the wind was somewhat cold, even if it was out of the southwest, it was blowing 18-20 mph and the temps were in the 40's. When I stepped out of my vehicle for our Wednesday run I felt as if I had left some running clothes at home...wimpy me...I know I know.

Well off we went...after a bit I didn't notice the wind until well into mile 2, almost to mile 3 when I turned into it for the last time. First it was the wind, then my Garmin started to act up, the light stopped coming on and under a street light I realized the message it was sending me was "Low Battery"....did that make me run faster this morning or was it the wind and my attempt at finding warmth? Who knows. I did discover that the Garmin has some extra juice left in it...it just stops the light from coming on when my minute "laps" would go by in its own attempt at saving itself. I did get my 4.5 miles in without it cratering totally.

So today's results, 4.5 miles 52:25 for a pace of 11:39......a new training PR since I've started runnig specifically to this distance on Mon/Wed...it only took me a month and half to improve....my old PR had been 52:29....but 4 seconds is 4 seconds and I'll take it. I can remember on Monday thinking.....did I really run this same route that fast...or was it someone else. I guess the stars were in alignment or something, I felt good, never really felt like I was overly exhausted or anything....just tired at the end.

Bottom line....for a training run I'll take the time.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by so I could find you again!

Good job on your 4.5 mile training PR. When you start doing your training a little faster but feel the same, it's a good thing. :-)

hah - the word verification that it has me doing for this post is "kolder" - how appropriate!!

Marcy said...

A PR is a PR!! And in the win to boot! Very nice Randy!

Unknown said...

Great job with the distance PR, especially in the cold and windy conditions. The fact that you only felt 'tired' at the end speaks to how much stronger you are now. Nice!

teacherwoman said...

4 seconds is 4 seconds for sure! Nice work!