Sunday, November 23, 2008

Saturday Long Run

It was like 25 freakin' degrees yesterday morning in Oklahoma, it felt like it might have well been -25 degrees. I ran almost 16 miles, 15.7 to be exact, well ok I walked a good part of the last 2 miles, but there is a story that goes with that, so get comfy, pour some hot chocolate, throw another log on the fire, where is the hot water bottle.

I layered for this run, five yes 5 layers up top, and 3 layers on the bottom, plus a new cap and face mask looking thingy. See I knew it was going to be cold and that the wind might be blowing, after all it is Oklahoma. The mask worked good and the cap was great. Everything actually worked well.

I did the first 12 miles in 3:28 and change. I met Bonnie at that point. Yes I was tired, no I wasn't cold, I was heated but from my hips down to my knees I was sore. She had the driver's side of our vehicle open, so I leaned in on the seat for no more than 30 or 40 seconds and I've never ever been chilled so fast. I had been sweating I guess and when I stopped running and was still in the wind it cut right to the bone. We started out with the intent of doing another 6 miles or so, but......I quickly discovered I couldn't get warmed back up again. We ran, we walked, we ran, we walked, we walked. I swung my arms but to little or no avail.

We ended up doing just over 3.5 miles I think and I needed to call it quits, I was worn to a frazzle, in fact the frazzle was becoming frayed.

Bonnie did let me know that according to her Garmin it was the slowed 5k she had ever run, but she was there to support me, but she had never run so slow in her life or her short running career. Now!!!!! since this is my blog I get to tell the "rest of the story" that she wouldn't tell any others that she spoke to yesterday, she just left it at how slow "that" 5k was. It took me about a half mile to formulate this coherent thought process but I finally was able to correlate a come-back and I informed her that while that 5k may have been the slowest ever, I had just completed something like 5 consecutive 5k's in the cold and wind, thank you very much. But I still got no sympathy.

I ran slower than last Sunday when I did 10 miles in 2:09....I think my 10 miles yesterday was 2:11, but I was figuring I was going to be running close to 20 so take it easy.

I ended up with a blood blister looking monster on my left little toe. As far as I can remember that is a first. I'm not sure what caused it, my socks weren't wrinkled, the shoe felt ok, it just was there. I didn't even feel it until later in the day....go figure.

We are going down to Dallas on Wednesday to run their 8 mile Turkey Trot on Thursday morning. They lay claim to instituting the very first Turkey Trot run, like 40 some odd years ago. I ask...Why 8 miles? The flipping bird will have nothing left on his thighs after that distance and the poor breasts will no longer be suculent, oh what poor bird we will have at the end of the day! We are running with my daughter's fiance, or I should say we will be somewhere behind him as he is a speedster. He anchored the marathon relay that Bonnie ran on in OKC back in April and his part was the finishing 10k, which he did in 56 minutes and change....and....he did that will little or no training.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like cruddy run conditions. I felt the urge to grab a blanket while reading this just to warm up a bit more.

Sorry about your blood blister. Ouch!

Steve Stenzel said...

Ohh, good luck with that MONSTER on your foot! I hate those!

I love running this time of year! (I'm from MN) I just did track intervals in the snow!

Happy running!

Greg said...

It's funny you mentioned the mask thingie and the fact it was 25 degrees. Yesterday at the Davis Turkey Trot here in Northern CA, there was a girl with one of those (it was a fleece jacket with an attached hood and mask). I had to laugh the time because it was about 56 degrees! I can see wearing one in sweltering 25-degree heat, but 56 degrees is just silly. I was wearing a muscle workout shirt and shorts at the time, heh.

Good job getting out there, I envy you folks with your cold, cold runs. Not that I envy the cold, but I envy your ability to get out there. I have a hard enough time getting out now, let alone with such cold temps.

Reese said...

Nice job on the almost 16. That has happened to me before, I've learned that if I plan to complete a long run in the cold, I can't completely stop or warm up. It's all over if I do.

Unknown said...

It's really difficult to dress for cold weather when you are alternating running and walking. I found this out at Across the Years last year where I was using a 15min/15min run/walk strategy for the ultra. I'm not sure what the answer is...I never did figure it out.

Take care of that blister.